Primordial Genetics is creating bacterial strains for production of L-methionine, an essential amino acid that is widely used in poultry and swine feed. All methionine is currently produced chemically, and its cost-competitive biological production is an unsolved problem. We are using our Function Generator™ platform technology to uncover novel genetic mechanisms contributing to the efficiency of methionine.
Function Generator™ is broadly applicable and will enable improvements in numerous microbial species used across multiple industries.
- Amino Acid Production
- Therapeutic protein and industrial enzyme production
- Novel protein discovery
- Renewable fuels & chemicals
- Crop plant applications
- Natural products and antibiotic discovery and production
Primordial Genetics is developing improved bacterial and yeast strains for commercial protein production as well as protein expression for R&D purposes. Our areas of focus are:
- Solubility: expression of proteins in soluble form that are otherwise insoluble;
- Expanded use of E. coli for expression of ‘recalcitrant’ proteins that don’t express well in bacterial hosts, and that currently require more expensive production hosts;
- Efficient protein secretion
- Immunoglobulin expression in E. coli including monoclonal antibodies: we are developing multiple traits in E. coli that when combined will allow efficient antibody discovery and production in a bacterial system.
Function Generator enables the discovery of novel, active proteins such as new therapeutics, enzymes with improved activity, or trait genes for microbes and plants.
Primordial Genetics is negotiating collaborations and partnerships with companies in this space to produce tolerance phenotypes for toxic products and productivity increases in biological production systems.
Function Generator™ can spur the development of advanced traits for use in transgenic crop plants.
- Herbicide tolerance
- Stress tolerance
- Photosynthetic efficiency and productivity
Function Generator™ enables the discovery and production of chemicals and pharmaceuticals through genetic optimizations of actinomycete bacteria and other microbial sources of natural products.
Primordial Genetics has established a collaboration with Fermalogic Inc. to pursue large-scale isolation of activated actinomycete strains secreting natural products possessing diverse structures and novel activities. This will be accomplished by developing general genetic solutions for unlocking silent biosynthetic pathways in actinomycete bacteria.
- Food and feed ingredients
- Therapeutic proteins
- Environmental cleanup
Yeasts and fungi
- Foods and beverages
- Fermentation products
- Proteins & enzymes
- Biomass degradation
- Carbon remediation
- Renewable fuels
- Renewable chemicals
- Food and feed additives
- Water cleanup
- Food and feed
- Structural materials
- Chemical feedstocks
- Pigments & dyes